Someone is sending me horrible messages on social media that are making me sad/angry. What can I do?
If someone is sending you messages that are making you unhappy there are several things you can do:
- Do NOT send angry messages back. Talk to someone you trust about what happened and how it made you feel.
- If you know the person, you might want to talk to them face-to-face to explain to them how their message made you feel.
- The good news is most social media platforms let you “block” a person so that they cannot contact you or send you messages. On Facebook you can find the person’s profile and use the “block” button. This button might look different depending on your phone.
- Most social media platforms have strict rules against bullying and harassment and give you the option of reporting someone who is breaking these rules. On Facebook, you can report rule breakers by going to their profile and selecting “report.”
- Under 18 years old? There’s a special phone number you can call to speak to somebody about your problem at no cost to you.