You may get emails or text messages telling you that you’ve won money, or a prize like a mobile phone or a holiday. If you’re receiving these kinds of messages, keep these important tips in mind:
- It’s very unlikely that you’ve won something if you didn’t enter a competition.
- Sometimes these messages will say that someone needs your help to look after their money for them. This is just an excuse to ask you for details like your bank account or ID number.
- Real or legitimate companies will never ask for this kind of info over email or without making sure it’s really you by confirming your personal details.
These messages are scams. Remember:
- Don’t follow links in emails from people you don’t know.
- Don’t give your passwords or any personal info (like your ID number, address or bank details) to strangers.