It can be helpful to chat with a trusted adult about your internet experience. Shared rules are a great way to make sure you both agree on how you’re going to use the Internet. Here are some guidelines that will help you and your guardians talk about safe online choices.
- Your recommended daily screen time depends on your age. If you’re a kid or teen, you should set an hourly limit on how much time you can spend on social media, video games, or online in general per week.
- Discuss the types of written comments, photos, or videos you might see and when you need to tell an adult.
- Decide on the time of day that you can be online and use your phone, and which websites you’re both okay with you visiting.
- Before downloading or installing any new app or playing a new game, make sure you’re both okay with it. This is as important on shared devices as personal ones.
- Help your guardians understand why these apps are fun for you. Teach them new things about the Internet, smartphones, and tech in general - often they can learn a lot from you.
Get together and decide what makes sense to you and your family.