I saw a post or photo on my social media that made me uncomfortable. What should I do?
- If you know the person who shared it, you might want to send them a message or talk to them face-to-face to explain why their post or photo was hurtful or offensive.
- You can also “unfollow”, “unfriend” or “block” the person so that you don’t see their posts anymore. Most social media platforms have this option. On Facebook, you can go to the person’s profile and select “block”. They will not be able to send you messages from that account anymore.
- On many social media platforms, you can report a specific post or photo if it’s against the rules of the social media platform.
- Search ‘community standards’ + ‘the platform name’ to find out what they are. On Facebook this includes bullying, graphic violence, spam. Use the “report” link near the post or photo to submit a report.
- You can also report people who don’t follow these Facebook terms by going to their profile and selecting “report”. This is often found under the ... icon.